Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Final Thoughts


So the Beijing Olympics are finally now done and over with, and at least in my eyes, they were a great success (is it just me, or can I not see those words now without thinking of Borat?).  From all accounts, everything was extremely well-organized, and I think most people there had a great time, despite the string of mini-controversies that followed the event.
 
Seems to me that's the general feeling around here too, from talking to friends and locals.  Though, to be fair, they have a pretty biased view of the event; questions about the gymnasts' age, for example, were often dismissed offhand when I explained the situation (the papers haven't said a word about it here).

I've probably said enough about the media coverage already, but one thing I did find lacking was insight into what the locals thought.  What do people here think about all the controversies?  About all the stuff (human rights, pollution, etc...) that China was coming under fire for?  The media has a great effect on what the public at home think about the Games,and I think adding that element would've helped those abroad better get a feel for the vibe in China.  Tourists/expats generally live apart from the locals, and I understand language is an issue, but there are literally a billion people they could've talked to. 

Geoffrey York of the Globe and Mail did an excellent job in this respect.  He watched the Opening Ceremonies with a middle-class family, and got in with some Chinese to see how they sacrificed personally for the Games (and how the felt about it).

And by the way, someone poke Jacques Rogge to see if he's is still alive.  I'm pretty sure he went through the entire Games with this look on his face the whole time.

No comments: