Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Letting the Dust Settle


That's a clear vs. smoggy day picture of Beijing, and with 4 months left until the Olympics, the government is putting all construction projects on hold to help try and clear the air for the event. They've also told steel, power and other "dirty" industries to cut back production in the coming weeks, and have even planned it so that by now, almost all of the Olympic construction is already done. China is, very literally, letting the dust settle in an attempt to pretty up the city. Incredible. The New York Times has the story here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How much time elapsed between pictures?

I'm noticing I'm not eliciting any responses to my other comments, so I'll just ask a straight question instead.

p.s. You're a douche.

Geoff Ng said...

Honestly, I have no clue. When I went last summer, it was somewhere in between. But then the day I flew back into China in March (sandstorm season?), the air quality pollution index hit 5 (on a scale of 5), meaning that it's a health risk to go outside. Good times.

Unknown said...

I bet listening to your iPod while walking across the street is more of a health risk. But I digress.